Wednesday 14 May 2008

Missed the obvious






Let's get back to the walking. The last couple of days have been rather uneventful and straight forward. Since arriving at Puerta de la Reina, 3 days have passed and we are now walking from Logrono to Nejara. Lately we seem to cover a lot of ground, 30 kilometres per day are a regular occurrence and today is no exception. The walk is like a scene from a movie. I feel, I have arrived in the wild wild west. Our eyes are enjoying every bit of scenery there is and as we wander into Nejara it doesn't stop. We are having trouble finding the albergue, and end up having a discussion about the fact that the albergues almost always seem to be on the other side of the town. Trust me, at the end of the days walk, you are buggered and just long to arrive at an albergue and rest. We end up asking a couple of times for directions in our very broken Spanish. People keep pointing in the same direction, so on we go up a hill and out of town. Here Gary thinks "something is wrong". Albergues are never out of town. We head back and walk straight to the Albergue. People were standing in front of the sign on our first passing and consequently we walked straight passed it. People kept telling us to keep going in that direction to head to the next town. We have walked an extra 5 kilometres and this is the first time that I feel like throwing in the towel. I am really struggling and just want to drop on the spot and ..........At the albergue I shower and get talking. Another pilgrim tells me never to trust the Spanish people to know the way. We have made so many friends now and tonight we all decide to share a meal. Christiaan and I are cooking and the rest are providing the wine that is a customary to have with meals in Spain. I like this tradition and it's free, refills and all. Afterwards a group of pilgrims including Gary and myself play cards and just enjoy the camaraderie between our fellow pilgrims and us.

No comments:

Post a Comment