Sunday 11 January 2009

My favourite place















There is yet another place I must visit in Holland. It is a tourist area located on Schouwen-Duiveland (the most northern Island of Zeeland). The place I am referring to is called Burgh-Haamstede. It is close to a 17 kilometres long beach. It is located in one of the sunniest locations of Holland. There is also a 300 hectare forest, where you can find some amazing flora and fauna. I remember searching for the many bramble bushes, picking as many brambles as possible and return home to make jam (Yummy). We walked many a trail here and quite a few of them lead to the beach. Here I have fond memories of walking along the beach with the wind in my face. Now if I am walking anywhere and the wind is hitting me in the face, I find my mind wandering back in time to this place. Of course we did some swimming here as well and enjoyed some birdwatching and looking for some suitable shells to make a shell necklace. We also enjoyed many a ride on horseback here. As you may all be aware, my cousins and I each owned our own ponies and all 3 ponies used to come holidaying with us. They were agisted at the local riding school "manege Lisiduna". The horse riding is excellent here. There are special riding trails through the forest and some leading to the beach. We would usually ride to the beach to let our ponies have a good gallop. I would sometimes choose the 2 hour forest ride for a more leisurely pace and just to enjoy the scenery. As a child I dreamed of living in this place. Buy a property (small Acreage) and have some chooks, dogs, cats, ponies and I am sure much more. We spend so much here in our holiday home, that after all these years I still call it place my favourite place.

No comments:

Post a Comment